Braces are not just for kids and teens; adults can greatly benefit from them as well! Many adults choose braces to help improve their smiles, often leading to a boost in confidence. If you are considering taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, read on for more information.
Why Would an Adult Need Orthodontic Treatment?
There are many reasons why an adult may consider orthodontic treatment. The most common being that they desire a straighter, more confident smile. Other issues that may lead to orthodontic treatment include:
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth.
- Crowded teeth or teeth that are spaced apart, which can lead to gum disease or tooth decay.
- A bad bite or malocclusion, which can cause teeth to fit together incorrectly.
Treatment Options for Adults
Many individuals are discouraged from orthodontic treatment when they think of wearing metal braces. However, the orthodontic treatments of today are much improved! There are many different treatment options available, including a variety of braces and appliances that are both stylish and comfortable. At our office, we offer a selection of braces, including:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Traditional metal braces
What is The Difference Between Adult Orthodontics and Orthodontics for Teens and Children?
The main difference in orthodontics for adults versus children or teens is that adults are no longer growing. This means that an adult’s jawbones have completed growing, which may open up the possibility for orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other factors that may impact your adult orthodontic treatment include:
- Periodontal Disease: Adults are more likely than teens or children to have gum or bone loss due to gingivitis or periodontal disease. Patients who have straighter teeth are less prone to gum disease.
- Missing or Worn Teeth: Orthodontic care can correct teeth that have become worn down or have shifted into different positions over time. Teeth that are missing can cause other teeth to tilt or shift, creating a bad bite and an increase in the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete Orthodontic Treatment as a Teen: Adults who did not complete their orthodontic treatment as a teen can often benefit from braces later in life.
At dotSmiles, we understand that adults and children have distinct needs, and require different levels of care and attention. Our team will work with you to make sure that you receive the treatments that are best for you.
The Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
If you are considering orthodontic treatment, you are probably aware of the outward benefit of a beautiful, straight smile. However, this treatment can also help to ensure healthy teeth for a healthy you! Straight teeth are easier to keep clean with regular brushing and flossing, which can prevent other health issues such as gum disease.
It is also important to remember that leaving dental issues untreated can lead to more serious problems. If you do not receive orthodontic treatment when it is needed, it can create long-term health issues that will cost you more time and money in the long run.
If you are interested in learning more about adult orthodontics and if it can benefit you, contact our office today to schedule an appointment.